Fighting HIV/AIDS around the world
MaliOne of our projects in Mali aims to increase the level of HIV/AIDS awareness and knowledge among youth and other vulnerable groups. Recently, we led 175,000 training sessions for 2.3 million people in over 2,000 communities. The sessions included group discussions, home visits, theater, radio messages, and presentations at schools. The campaign also made condoms accessible to the communities.
ZimbabweIn the Eastern highlands of Zimbabwe, we support Family Awareness Caring and Trust (FACT), a community-based organization that trains peer educators to increase AIDS awareness among workers in tea estates, distribute condoms and refer people to HIV counseling and testing. FACT also assists orphans and provides home-based care.
HaitiMore than 200,000 AIDS orphans live in Haiti. We proudly support La Maison 'Arc-en-Ciel, or Rainbow House. Rainbow House is a unique orphanage, the first facility in Haiti to admit children orphaned by AIDS. Staff members provide psychosocial and medical support to children and adults, caring for both the infected as well as the at-risk population.
Rainbow House provides:
- A home, a family, and love for children who have been orphaned by AIDS
- Nutritional support
- School fees for several hundred children
- Medical care, including antiretroviral medicines
- Knowledge about managing their lives and participating in the fight against AIDS
- Psychological support to children and caregivers whose lives are affected by HIV/AIDS
- Medical care (treatment for opportunistic infections)
- Anti-retroviral (ARV) therapy to treat HIV/AIDS
- Microcredit and small business development opportunities
- Support groups for children and adults
Burkina FasoWe've found, in Burkina Faso, that one of the most successful approaches to combating HIV/AIDS is through Voluntary Counseling and Testing (VCT) Centers.
These volunteer centers provide a number of invaluable services to community members:
- Convenient and easy access to HIV Testing
- Increased access to other HIV/AIDS-related services
- Access to training and instruction to manage and care for orphans and vulnerable children affected by HIV/AIDS
- Counseling and treatment provided for all children and adults who test positive, as well as for affected family members
We also address low literacy levels by designing education programs take a unique approach using folklore, mass media, and peer-group education. These techniques help to recruit VCT Center participants from more remote villages.
Education programs also focus on reducing stigmatization and discrimination and encouraging community members to take care of children and others affected HIV/AIDS.
Help Fight HIV and AIDS