Five Reasons Early Childhood Care and Development is Important
Early Childhood Care and Development (ECCD) is an integral program area for Plan International. From Africa to Asia Ethiopia to Asia, Plan is working to establish early childhood development centers, educate parents, and provide the proper attention for children under 5 years old.
- There are 700 neural connections per second in early brain development.
- Inequalities begin to show in child development scores after just 18 months.
- Infants show a 2:1 difference in size of speaking vocabulary in responsive settings as opposed to poor care settings.
- Children with six or more risk factors (poor health, inadequate protection) have a 90-100 percent likelihood of developmental delay.
- Children with six or more risk factors have a 3:1 chance of developing heart disease.
*Numbers from the Harvard University Center for the Developing Child.