Plan International USA is part of a consortium led by Research Triangle Institute (RTI) working in Nepal to improve reading instruction in grades 1-3, as well as enhance community engagement in education and school planning. Plan is leading the third component of the project, which aims to increase family and community support for early grade reading. Through this component, Plan will provide guidance and support to parents, community organizations, and Nepali nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) to promote reading practice at home and in the community. The Early Grade Reading Program (EGRP) is contributing to a broader Government of Nepal (GoN) strategy and actions to improve reading in local languages in schools across Nepal.
As leader of the family and community support activities, Plan will develop a strategy and tools for community mobilization and will oversee small grants to NGOs and community-based organizations who will be working at the community level. Working closely with the Ministry of Education, Plan will focus on four key aspects of community engagement in reading:
- Awareness of the importance of learning to read: Children learn to read best in their first language, and the project will emphasize the importance of reading in local language for longer-term education and language development. This component will also promote reading curricula developed by other project partners.
- Parents engage their children in after-school activities: The project will provide guidance and tools for parents and communities for simple after-school activities that can help promote reading and language development, such as storytelling, flashcards, or reading games.
- Support for School Improvement Planning: Plan will work with local NGOs and district-level government offices to improve budgeting and planning at the district and school levels, and integrate reading-promotion activities into school and district plans.
- Parents monitor teachers and discuss reading data: Plan and its local NGO partners will encourage parents to monitor more closely students’ reading outcomes as well as teacher performance, using data and report cards that will be encouraged through other project partners.
- $ 2,890,357
- Project Start Date
- April 2015
- Project End Date
- March 2020
- Technical Areas Covered
- Education, Early Grade Reading, Education Governance, and Parent Engagement