We’ve all witnessed the horrific events of the past couple of weeks. The wave of protests happening around the U.S. and all over the world are a culmination of centuries of systemic oppression against the black community. And the wrongful deaths of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and George Floyd were catalysts.
As an organization, we work around the globe, standing with and for the marginalized. We support them in finding their voice, advancing equity and inclusion so they hold their rightful place within their communities. The injustices in our own country and communities have now brought us to a point where we must collectively stand against the institutional racism that has led to blatant inequality in the United States, including in education, healthcare, mass incarceration, safety and so much more.
Plan International USA stands with the black community and condemns the plight that too many have suffered for far too long — and we demand justice and safety for those who have long been denied their rights.
Structural racism is not just a black American issue, it is an all American issue. We need to unlearn racism perpetuated in our society and start changing our individual and collective behaviors. Now is the time to demand systemic change by supporting those at the forefront of this movement to end violence, oppression, inequity and inequality.
WE CONDEMN ALL RACIST VIOLENCE
Plan International unequivocally condemns all racist violence and stands against discrimination against black communities and racial injustice everywhere.
Now is the time to demand systemic change by supporting those at the forefront of this movement to end violence, oppression, inequity and inequality.
As such, in solidarity with Black Lives Matter, black girl and women protestors, and allies who are organizing and taking action against racial violence and injustice, we have compiled the following list of resources.
Use them to educate yourself on the issues and be an active anti-racist ally.
Please note: Plan International is not responsible for the content of other sites.
- For our White Friends Desiring to be Allies by Sojouners
- Welcome to the Anti-Racism Movement – Here’s What You’ve Missed by Ijeoma Oluo
- 7 Reasons Why ‘Colour-blindness’ Contributes to Racism Instead of Solves It by Jon Greenberg via Everyday Feminism
- Got Internalised White Superiority? by Jen Willsea
- Why you Need to Stop Saying 'All Lives Matter' by Rachel Cargle
How do I talk to my kids about racism?
- How to Talk to Kids About Racial Violence and Police Brutality by Alia E. Dastagir for USA Today
- We Need More White Parents to Talk to Their Kids About Race. Especially Now by Chandra White-Cummings via Washington Post
- Your Kids Aren’t Too Young to Talk About Race: Resource Roundup
- 31 Children's Books to Support Conversations on Race, Racism and Resistance
- Seeing White by Scene on Radio with John Biewen feat. Dr. Chenjerai Kumanyika
- About Race with Anna Holmes, Baratunde Thurston, Raquel Cepeda and Tanner Colby
- Instagram, Activism & White Privilege with Rachel Cargle on Ctrl+Alt+Delete by Emma Gannon
- Intersectionality Matters! by Kimberlé Crenshaw
- Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad
- Why I’m no Longer Talking to White People about Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge
- White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo, PhD
RESOURCE LISTS BY ANTI-RACIST GROUPS
- A guide to ally-ship from Black Lives Matter
- Anti-racism for beginners
- Anti-racism resources for white people (including books, podcasts, articles, film and TV series, organisations to follow on social media and more.)
- #JusticeforFloyd: Demand the officers who killed George Floyd are charged with murder
- Justice for Breonna Taylor: young African-American EMT and first responder to COVID-19 shot and killed by police in her home in Louisville, Kentucky
- Justice for Tony McDade: a transgender African-American man who was shot and killed by police in Tallahassee, Florida
- Justice for Ahmaud Arbery: I Run with Maud! 25-year-old African-American man chased and gunned down by two white men on his morning jog in Glynn County, Georgia
- Sign dozens more #BlackLivesMatter petitions
FOLLOW AND SHARE ON INSTAGRAM
- Black Lives Matter
- Rachel Cargle
- The Conscious Kid
- Ibram X. Kendi
- The Antiracist Research & Policy Center
- Showing Up For Racial Justice
- The Great Unlearn
- Check Your Privilege
- Layla F. Saad
- No White Saviours
- Audre Lorde Project
- Danielle Coke