How much does child sponsorship cost?
Child sponsorship starts at $33 a month, or about a dollar a day.
How are my sponsorship donations used?
In addition to helping your sponsored child, your contributions are pooled to support a wide range of programs in sponsorship communities. More than 75 years of experience have taught us that helping families and communities become self-sufficient is the best way to secure children’s futures. Community-owned projects focus on Education; Youth and Economic Empowerment; Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene; Health; Disaster Relief and Recovery; and Protection. Your ongoing sponsorship donations ensure that Plan can provide long-term support for sponsorship communities.
Why should I sponsor with Plan?
Nearly 1,100,000 people in 21 countries sponsor a child through Plan. With the support of child sponsors and institutional donors over the past 75 years, we have grown into one of the widest-reaching and most effective international development organizations. Our level of community engagement, long-term outlook, and constant focus on the needs and priorities of children brings about positive and lasting changes in the lives of the world's children and communities in a strategic and accountable way.
How long will my sponsorship last?
Sponsorship is ongoing, or until your sponsored child graduates from our program on or shortly after his or her 18th birthday. In some cases, other circumstances may cause your sponsorship with a particular child to end sooner than anticipated. If such a situation occurs, we will contact you as soon as possible to transfer your sponsorship to another child. Below is an overview of some reasons why your sponsorship may end earlier than you expected:
- Phase out: Plan’s involvement in your sponsored child’s community may reach completion. When it’s clear that a community can manage its own development without us, we gradually phase out our participation. This is a cause for celebration, because it means our partnership has been a success!
- Security: Occasionally, if the situation in a country or community puts our staff at risk (in cases of war, for example), or if our presence in a community puts its inhabitants in danger, we may close operations and withdraw ahead of schedule.
- Relocation/Migration The child you sponsor and his or her family may move away from the region where Plan operates, which means they can no longer participate in the sponsorship program.
As a child sponsor what do I receive?
As a sponsor, you can expect:
- A welcome package in the mail in about two weeks that includes:
- Photos of, and information about, your sponsored child and his or her family
- Information on your sponsored child’s community
- The opportunity to exchange letters:
- If you write a letter to your sponsored child, he or she will write back! Letter writing is a great way for you to get to know your sponsored child and see the world through his or her eyes.
- An annual update on your sponsored child, as well as the progress sponsorship communities are making because of your support!
- An annual tax receipt
Can I write to my sponsored child?
Writing a letter is the best way to learn more about your sponsored child! Through the sharing of letters, cards, and photographs, you’ll gain a deeper understanding of each other’s world’s and perspectives.
Getting started is easy! To send your sponsored child an email or postcard, just sign into your My Plan account, and click on your sponsored child.
Plan International USA
155 Plan Way
Warwick, RI 02886
You may send photos and cards, but please be sure to attach them to each other using a paperclip. Remember to apply a pre-printed label on each piece you would like to send.
Can I send a gift to my sponsored child?
We would be happy to forward a small token of friendship to your sponsored child! When choosing your gift, please keep in mind that it must be approximately 4 x 6 inches and be relatively flat, to ensure efficiency through customs.
A few simple gifts we recommend include:
- Photos, postcards, stickers
- Pens, paper, small bags, bookmarks, pocket calculators
- Maps, booklets, coloring pages, crayons
- Deflated balloons or balls (they can be inflated at the field office)
Due to international guidelines and cultural differences, gifts we are unable to forward are:
- Money and gifts that can be converted into cash
- Jewelry, watches, hair accessories
- Fragile or sharp gifts such as a pair of scissors, a compass, thermometer, etc.
- Skin and hair care products (soap, make-up, etc.)
- Food and plants
- Liquids (paint, bubbles)
- Clothing (including hats, gloves, socks, etc.)
Just like mailing a letter, you can send your gift to:
Plan International USA
155 Plan Way
Warwick, RI 02886
We ask that you attach your sponsor number and sponsored child’s number to your gift to ensure that it arrives without delay!
Can I visit my sponsored child?
Yes! In addition to writing to your sponsored child, we encourage sponsors to consider a trip to visit their sponsored child's community. It's a life-changing experience to meet your sponsored child and his or her family, and you will be able to see first-hand the impact of our partnership. Contact us to plan a visit.
What is Plan’s Child Protection Policy?
Plan International USA is committed to actively safeguarding children from harm and to ensuring that children’s rights to protection are fully realized. We take seriously our responsibility to promote child-safe practices and to protect children from harm, abuse, neglect, and exploitation in any form.
In addition, we will take positive action to prevent child abusers from becoming involved with Plan in any way and will take stringent measures against any Plan staff, Board members, volunteers, interns, sponsors, consultants, contractors, vendors, advisers, official guests of Plan, representatives of partner organizations, local governments, and visitors to Plan offices and programs (hereafter referred to as Plan International USA Associates) who abuse a child. The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (1989) provides the foundation for Plan International USA’s work both locally and internationally, and our decisions and actions in response to child protection concerns will be guided by the principle of “the best interests of the child.”
Read our full Child Protection Standards.
I have more questions. Who can I speak to?
Our Donor Loyalty team is happy to answer any questions you have. You can call us at 1-800-556-7918 Monday through Friday, from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm ET, or contact us.